Growing up it was always that cylinder shaped crimson congealed substance that jiggled like jello on the serving plate of our holiday tables. That was long before I knew what personality a cranberry could possess and how it could be the star of the show, not just a supporting character.
This article is for the creative home chef who needs help perking up leftover cranberry sauce and who is not confined by seasonal timelines when it comes to enjoying the flavors you crave. I always stock up on cranberry butter from Trader Joe's and fresh cranberries. I also make my own cranberry sauce and freeze it to enjoy long past the holidays.
Here are 10 Ways To Use Leftover Cranberry Sauce From The Holidays:
1. Smoked Turkey, Cranberry , And Spinach Whole Wheat Wrap
Layer 1 to 2 slices of horseradish cheddar cheese, 2 slices of smoked turkey, spinach leaves, and 2 tablespoons of cranberry sauce onto a whole wheat tortilla. You won't miss the mayo at all - spicy, sweet, smokey, soft, and satisfying!
2. Cranberry Orange Scones With Cranberry Creme Fraiche Topping
Blend cranberry sauce with creme fresh or mascarpone cheese and spoon over light fluffy scones.
3. Cranberry Risotto (recipe will be featured in the next post)
4. As a topping for pork burgers (click here for recipe)
5. Cranberry Vanilla Bean Cheesecake (click here for recipe)
A Few Other Ideas - no photos or specific recipes but all delicious with leftover cranberry sauce
6. Sandwiched between dark chocolate cookies
7. Ice cream topping
8. On a bagel, English muffin, or biscuit with butter
9. With yogurt and granola for an energetic breakfast
10. Over cottage cheese for a healthy lunch
Cranberry sauce can be as simple as fresh berries, sugar, water, and a little orange zest or, you can dress it up a bit like I did here with my homemade cranberry sauce on these Spicy Apple And Feta Pork Burgers Topped With Cranberry Rosemary Creme Fraiche